Thursday, July 29, 2010

Doh! It was supposed to be square.

Er, I've really lost my mind! Actually, I think I'm too tired to think clearly and this morning's early start didn't help. I was having an email conversation with the wickedly talented Sunghee a while back about how it's even possible that mothers of young children even have time to craft. She told me that she stays up super late crafting to her heart's content and it makes her so insanely tired that she can't function properly. That is beginning to sound a lot like me, except I don't stay up late to craft! I just can't function without nine straight hours of sleep. Other crafty mothers have told me that I just have to get used to it. Well, after almost two years, I don't think I'll ever get used to not having a good night's sleep!

I really wanted to make a card today that was not a client card. I've been so busy with those that I haven't had time to participate in any challenges for at least two weeks. I decided to use Susan Raihala's OLW14 Challenge which is to make a card using an outline stamp with little or no colouring. Here's my card except for one important detail... it was supposed to be square! This card uses more of the scrumptious stamps from Unity's July KOTM. Since little or no colouring was allowed, I used various colours of ink for the apples, stems and leaves. It was a bit difficult since I don't have markers but I managed to press the corners of my ink pads into the appropriate areas. I rushed to do this before the sun went down so I could photograph it. Therefore, I won't be making a square version. Sorry! One is enough for this tired brain. Have a great night, everyone! My husband should be home with some Italian wine very soon. :)

Sources: GinaK 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; Unity July 2010 Kit of the Month - Happily Ever After; Vivid Red & ButterScotch inks; SU Garden Green ink; Memories Artprint Brown ink

9 comments:

Angela said...

Well, you might be tired, but your card still rocks! I love the blend of colors! And with some artful cropping, you could claim it's square! Enjoy your wine.

G Peplow said...

Oh Emily, I love your card and if you squint you could pretend that it's square LOL
I totally agree a good nights sleep is fundamental to your health, hope you get some soon soon! It doesn't seem to affect your card making skills, they are still brill :) xxx

Donelda said...

hehehe, love your apples and I had to laugh because I did the exact same thing!! I simply remade mine using a smaller square card and the smaller stamp in the set. ... and an edit here because the letters I have to type in on your security feature are "rests" ... that is interesting considering you are so tired!! HA!!

Meg said...

I'm sure it's just the angle of the camera making it look like a rectangle, right? I love the orange & red on the apples and of course that typewriter text!

I'm just like you and need my sleep, which is one of the reasons we have a corgi and not a baby. :)

Anonymous said...

Well it's stunning anyway, Emily! Love the way you used the inks on the apples.

Oh I know exactly what you mean about needing sleep! Now the kids are grown up and I'm at home all the time I get to have afternoon naps as well now, lol! Pure decadence! x

Susan said...

Love the multi-colored inking...really makes the apples pop. Not square...why I hardly even noticed! (and probably wouldn't have it you hadn't told me! LOL)

Lindsey said...

Teehee! Well, it's still a great card... I LOVE those apples, and they look perfect the way you inked them up. (And I may just have to CASE your layout for my own challenge entry. :P I've done one, but it barely fits the rules this week. Wait! Yours doesn't either! :D)

Carol said...

Great card! Love those apples!

Anonymous said...

Okay Emily, here you go, free membership in the "Close Enough Club". The great thing about being the artist is that no one knows WHAT you intended and just judges by what they see. I see a really cute card of clever apples! Look at Jackson Pollock's stuff....it gets millions and looks like, to me, a kid got turned loose in a paint store and had a melt-down.

Happy stamping,
Bahb