Monday, August 22, 2011

It's a Lil' Inker Holiday!

Not as in a statutory holiday but I did make two holiday cards using Lil' Inker Designs products and more. This is the earliest I've ever made Christmas cards, by at least two months, so it's saying a lot about how inspiring the Pinwheel die and stamp set can be. ;) I'd been trying to wrap my head around different ways to use this set. You've seen all the wonderful 3D projects made by the design team but I wanted to show you that you can flatten the pinwheel and it'll still be stunning!

***

My first card uses the Pinwheel die with a Hero Arts+Basic Grey sentiment from Happy Holidays and papers from Echo Park's For the Record Collection. For the pinwheel, I chose a double-sided paper that had the traditional Christmas colours since both sides will always show when using the Pinwheel die. I folded the flaps down in the reverse direction from THIS CARD I made using the same die. Then I used a scoring tool to neatly flatten each blade or, in this case, petal to create a poinsettia. I stitched along the outer edge of each petal and adhered them to each other.

***

After I finished die cutting the blades, I was left with the negative from the curves of the Pinwheel die and the pattern looked so beautiful to me. Normally, I throw away all my scraps. I know, some of you are gasping in horror. ;) This time I couldn't bear to dispose of it. That's when the lightbulb went on inside my head. I could use it as an overlay! But how? I looked through some of my new stamps and I thought it would be perfect to use it as a Swiss cheese house for this little mouse from the Paper Smooches set called Santa Paws. Don't you love how it looks like he's watching the snow fall through the windows?

As soon as I saw the sentiment, I knew it would look great with the Sentiment Flags die and stamp set. The post that comes with the stamp set is awesome and goes with pretty much everything. I just wished that I had stamped it a little better on this card.

***

I hope you enjoyed today's installment of Lil' Inker Designs inspiration! Do you own any of the die and stamp sets? I'd love to see what you've made. Just leave a comment with your link and I'll drop by to have a look.

We started packing this weekend! Every day, my son thinks it's moving day tomorrow. He even packed up some of his toys in a mock moving box and taped it shut. Poor little guy. Not yet, honey, not yet. We still have 12 days to go. All I can do is blame the Berenstain Bears who apparently packed in one day. :Þ I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Sources for Happy Holidays: Gina K Designs pure luxury black cardstock; Echo Park For the Record Collection; Hero Arts+Basic Grey Happy Holidays; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Lil' Inker Designs Pinwheel die; QuicKutz Epic Six; Gutermann ivory thread; sewing machine; Basic Grey button; The Twinery baker's twine in Charcoal

Sources for Happy Christmouse: Gina K Designs 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; Echo Park For the Record Collection; Paper Smooches Santa Paws; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Lil' Inker Designs Pinwheel die & Sentiment Flags die and stamp set; QuicKutz Epic Six; Stampin' Dimensionals

33 comments:

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love the patterned paper on the first one, and what a fun bright card... love that there's no typical x-mas colors.

Anita Rex said...

Such a cool creative idea Emily! Love it and it looks amazing! Great job getting an early go of the Christmas cards! And your swiss cheese card is also super creative I love it! Good luck with packing! I hate packing! :>

G Peplow said...

Inventive inspiring cards, lovely work Emily! Good Luck with the packing:0) hugs Gay xxx

donna mikasa said...

I knew it was a poinsettia right away! And the Swiss cheese is so clever! I have the rainbow dies and stamp set but haven't played with them yet....so little time! Good luck with the packing and the move! So exciting!

Isha Gupta said...

Lovely creative creation Emily. TFS

Helle said...

LOVE your happy christmouse card, its so cute!!!

Jen W. said...

Love how completely non-traditional both these Christmas cards are! That pinwheel makes a perfect poinsettia and the little mouse is adorable.

Glad the packing is underway and that the lil guy is so excited. And the Berenstain Bears?? Is that show still on? Wow, memories...

Angela said...

Happy packing, my dear.
And in the meantime, revel in the awesomeness that is both of your cards -- pinwheel/poinsettia AND swiss cheese/snowfall ;) Love 'em!

Karen B. said...

Such creativity you have! Love these projects and how you showcase different ways to use product.

BabyBokChoy said...

Oh i like the flattened look! I have a pinwheel die too and there's no way a card can be mailed without being squished :) lol. Yours are so cute!

Annette Allen said...

that Pinwheel die is just too cute. Your cards are amazing...Thanks for sharing..

Laura Pryor said...

Emily these cards are SUPER creative! I love how you used the die for two such different cards! Love the poinsettia flower card but this little mouse card is super cute too with its flag! WOW!

Jessica Diedrich said...

HOW cool is THIS?!? Gorgeous pinwheel card and I LOVE what you did w the piece of scrap paper!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Yes, the Berenstain Bears resolve all of life's problems (laziness, disorganization, bad eating habits, phobias) in a day. Awww...that's so sad yet sweet that Damian's trying to pack already.

Both of these cards are so cool! I have to say, I am totally loving the flat pinwheel flower. Love it! (And I noticed you already have your BG-HA stamps--that was fast!). The second card with the mouse is super clever...when you said it looked like snow, I definitely saw it! Brilliant, Emily!!

Julie Ranae said...

Emily~ These cards are absolutely adorable and so creative!!! So glad you had a chance to share more of your designs before the BIG move :))

Lindsey said...

I love the poinsettia card, Em! At first glance, I thought it was felt, but it's beautiful patterned paper. The mouse card is a lot of fun, and a great way to use the rest of the paper!
How great that D. is so looking forward to the move! Imagine how much harder it would be if he wanted to STAY in his HOME!
(The Berenstain Bears have so much to answer for...)

*Alison* said...

Emily,
This is AMAZING! well BOTH are.. I love how you turned the pinwheel into a poinsettia.. the stitching is wonderful.. and I love that little set from PS :) and the random designs are such a cool touch.. :)
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.. :) I am 31 and Stretch just turned 11.. I can't believe he is in 6th grade already..
I remember moving from Cal to Utah and it seemed like for Stretch it took forever for the day to come... :) I am so happy for you all!! It will be such a wonderful new adventure.. HUGS

Lisa said...

So cool what you made with the leftovers- And I love the pinwheel poinsettia! You are the most clever person I know- I need to have you come and rub my belly or something so I can have some of that!! (that didn't sound very good did it?) You know what I mean- I hope :) LOL
Darn those Berenstain Bears anyway! I must admit, for some reason those are some of my least favorite kids books....

Shauna K said...

how fun! such a neat idea- the poinsettia pinwheel- and cool effect using the negative of the die!

farmhouse-story said...

you are just so clever to use the pinwheel for a poinsettia, emily!--wonderful idea! good luck with the packing:)

Kelly Massman said...

Pretty work, and I love the story! The Berenstein bears are so fun!

Karin said...

I love the poinsettia made from the pinwheel! And the card from scraps is totally cool...Good luck with all the packing and I hope that you will be super happy in your new home!

Meg said...

Ooooh, love the pinwheel as petals! The stitching adds so much interest, too.

The crazy swiss cheese is fun, too. I've had a couple of those negatives hanging around because I can't bear to throw them out, either.

Good luck on your packing!

Jen Carter said...

These are fabulous Emily!! I love the flower with the pinwheel die! That made such a cool card!! And finding a way to use the leftovers was genius!

Brenda said...

Happy packing Emily! I have stopped counting how many times I have had to move house all on my own! Love both your cards and how creative you were with that negative piece! That little mouse is too cute!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Hi Emily! Oeh, these are fun!! Love the humor in that second one, and the cute little mouse! fun cards!! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog, now you're busy, and I really appreciate it! Those clouds impression plate is amazing, love it!! It's from Taylored expressions. Hi hi, yep, I've been collecting Pti quite a lot... Not good for my savings, but it is good for my mood, hi hi. I looove it all and I adore just flipping through my index pages and seeing all those beauties! I had some US friends who were willing to ship things cheaper for me, so that was perfect! I have only bought the Pti lately, I realize, guess that's really my fave now!! Hope you are all well! all the best to you and your family!!
Hugs, Wendy

Marlena M. said...

BRILLIANT, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, Emily! I love it...the poinsettia and the negative mousy house. ;)

Amy Kolling said...

Love your pinwheel flower card! Genius! Aren't you having so much fun with them? I know I am! :)

kasia c. said...

Ummmm....totally awesome! The pinwheel DOES look great flat, and what a fabulous use of the negative cuts! That mouse is enjoying his fabulous view. :)

Lisa Petrella said...

Really cute and clever ways to use the pinwheel die!!! Way to think outside the box, girl!!!

Pauline said...

Fab cards Emily, I love the use of the negative on the second card, and that sweet little mouse! The pin wheel die is a lovely shape, very Salvador Dali!

Kary said...

Such cute cards!! Love the pinwheel. Wow, time does fly by so quickly...very soon, you'll be moving. That must be so exciting, but packing and unpacking can be such a huge job. Hope things go so smoothly. Have a great day!

Lorraine said...

Love your beautiful non-traditional colors cards! Such pretty color combos and designs!